Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Playing Footsies

For today's adventure I thought I would talk you through how I put this layout together. It looks way more complicated that it actually is!


To jump-start my ideas I really love a great sketch, and this month's sketch challenge at Handmade by Suzanne does just the trick. What I love most is those splashes of paint in the background! That sparks my imagination in a million different ways :-)


But first I start with some basics.
I chose my papers first, and I either tend to stick to one collection or manufacturer (or else I scrap with a kit) because I'm no good at making up my own combinations of product :-) This month at HBS I'm working with the Sassafras Sweetly Smitten range, but I also threw the Starters collection in my shopping cart too and I know they'll work well together.

I pick some photos that will work with the colours in the paper and I briefly assemble a sketchy idea of how I think it'll be put together.


Despite the Sassafras Starters paper (this one is 'Intro') already having so much detail there's no reason why you can't add more! With my Silhouette I cut out a honeycomb pattern from some scrap paper (it was actually a page I tore out of the instruction manual for a piece of Ikea furniture!) To give it a subtle pink colour I used Tim Holtz Distress Stain in Spun Sugar. The foam applicator gives a quick and even coverage and because it's water-based it dries very quickly too.


But what about those paint splashes in the sketch? I grabbed my Distress Stain this time in Broken China and made a series of dots over my background paper. The applicator has a spring valve inside so when it's pressed down the ink flows. If I press the foam to the paper lightly I get just the round spot, but if I slam it down onto my page I get those happy little splashy spots!


And just like all of Tim Holtz' Distress products, these react with water. After I did all these background spots I thought they might have been a bit too bold for the rest of my layout. So even though they had dried by then I simply spritzed my page with water and let some of the colour run out of the spots and down my page which softened it all a little.


Then I started laying my design elements back in. I covered that chipboard journaling spot with my favourite paper from the Sweetly Smitten range called Dainty Sketch. And then it was a matter of filling in all the gaps. Here's where we started if you remember.


I cut some simple banner shapes for my title. The alphas are the Krafty ones :-)


And yes, those Foldies really are as good as everyone keeps raving about! But that doesn't mean they can't be further improved with some bling!


What a topic to scrap about hey? Feet! The journaling reads: "Bethany has this very cute habit of curling her toes together whenever she's concentrating. It sure beats sticking out her tongue!" It's the little memories that I like to scrap. These are the details of life that bring a smile to my face :-)


So come on over to Handmade by Suzanne and have a go at the sketch challenge. There's a whopping $30 voucher up for grabs to a random participant! It could be you!!

5 comments

  1. what a gorgeous layout...you are so very talented

    ReplyDelete
  2. SIMPLY DIVINE! I don't ever see any work of yours I don't love Natalie! Thanks for the step-by-step about how you created your LO, I always love hearing about other people's process! As for the AMAZING splotches - I will definitely be getting my hands on some of those distress stains and using that technique, thanks! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGee! What a sweet layout, Natalie! Thanks for the step-by-step! Moxie fab, I tell ya, simply moxie fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over from the Moxie Fab blog and while not a scrapbooker I LOVE THOSE BLOBS AND SPLASH MARKS!! Definitely going to try as soon as I get my hands on some Stains. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Dorothy C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautifully done and I just love how you explained your process for this page

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Come back again soon :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails