Saturday, August 14, 2010

It's a boy!!

No, not me!! Thank goodness :-) But last month my sister had her first baby, and while I'm used to all things girly she shook up the mix a bit by having a gorgeous baby boy. I managed to have someone capture this photo of Munchy, Moodles and I meeting Mason for the first time, and I knew I had to scrap it.

My personal stash doesn't have a lot of masculine papers and embellishments in it, so imagine how delighted I was when I opened my Kreatorville Kraft August kit (where I'm a Kontributing Kreator this month) to find some papers from the lovely Girl's Paperie On Holiday collection, that A-Mazing Kreatorville male tag, and the measuring tape ribbon. It was like Keandra designed this kit with my photos in mind!! It was simply perfect.


The only thing that concerned me was that those brilliant Girl's Paperie stencil alphas were black with PINK letters. I knew that wouldn't quite work!! But the solution couldn't have been easier. I simply used my craft knife (personally I use a scalpel which I find cuts much more smoothly, but I realise not everyone has access to these! Lucky for me, I'm the Scrap Doctor!) to cut out the pink letters, and then I used foam tape to pop up the black negatives on the b-side of the Sassafras paper that comes in the kit.

I love how bold and graphic my title is, and the extra dimension from the foam tape makes this look so impressive in real life.


Meanwhile, speaking of bold and graphic... the Kreatorville tags that came in the kit worked in perfectly for this layout. I used the male tag as a base for my sub-title (which I copied from my sister's birth announcement) It reads "10 little fingers, 10 little toes, and yes.... 1 of those" which I couldn't help but chuckle at.

As you can see, I cut the numbers from the Girls Paperie On Holiday Day's Away paper, and the words are from the Girls Paperie sticker book (all in the kit). For the few words that didn't come in the book, I simply typed up on my typewriter. You can hardly tell the difference.


The "secret" technique at Kreatorville Kraft this month is using paint. I know, I know, I know, some people are a little intimidated to use paints on their layouts, or at the very least are just a little unsure of how to go about it. I put together a very simple tutorial on how I used a toothbrush and syringe to make the messy paint effects on this layout (granted, I ended up covering up a lot of it with my photos and embellishments) which is up on the Kreatorville blog here. But check out what all the other girls are doing with paint this month too. Keandra and Charity have also posted tutorials on great ideas of how to add paints to your creations.

And stay tuned. The full reveal of the August kit went up today, and I've got a lot more layouts to show you :-)

4 comments

  1. AHHHHH...THAT'S why you altered the letters...it WORKS, though, babe!!!! And you're right...you REALLY can't tell which words you typed and which came with the kit...LOVE that! You rocked this just like you've been scrapping the littles with "one of THOSE" forever! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you performed surgery on those letters - worked like a charm.
    Congrats on the new manly addition to your family:)
    Just had a paint class with Julie Balzer today so I'm all about paint techniques tonight. Going to check out Kreatorville!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that heading totally ROCKS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again your rocked the KK kit Natalie!!! I love the pic and love the LO ... can't wait to see what you'll be doing next, you know I love painting on LO's, so I'm definitely curious!
    xxx Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Come back again soon :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails