Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Story of Attempt #4

This is the last layout I've got to share in my series of 'failed' attempts whilst working on my application for Masters. This one was for the challenge of making an interesting and unique background. You can see 3 other attempts at this challenge here, here and here!


Whilst it never made the final cut for my Masters entry, I don't actually consider it a failed layout. I still like how it turned out, albeit quite different from my original idea. It involved a lot of fiddling and experimenting which is part of the fun and I loved playing with new techniques along the way.


I used some of my most favourite supplies - including reigniting my fondness of these JBS rubon butterflies. I've had this one in my stash for so long that unfortunately it got a little stuck on the packaging, but I'm never one to shy away from imperfections (!) so on it went anyway. I think it makes quite a bold statement on this page about my girls meeting their new baby cousin for the first time.


And sticking with the kraft and red colour scheme I chose these JBS feathers as my only other real embellishments. Given the nature of the challenge I didn't want to distract too much from all the background techniques that are supposed to be the focus of this layout.


First I made a Silhouette cut file with all this text of baby Zylee's name and date of birth. When I first cut it out I used it as a stencil and sprayed it with grey mist. The mist didn't really cut it for me so I lined up the stencil again and this time spread gesso through it. Much better! And you still get the faint outline of grey which is a bit cool. I stamped in between the words and splattered my usual paint and pearls. I ended up using the same cardstock letters from my original Silhouette cut for my title rather than mixing in another font. As I said, it all became a bit fiddly, but I kinda like it anyway :-)

Photobucket

Supplies:

7 comments

  1. Those JBS feathers & butterfly really do make a gorgeous bold statement....really lovely LO.....can't wait to see your pages IF you get through & also if you don't...win, win, either way:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this- and would never consider it a fail at all! I also love that the butterfly is imperfect...a beautiful layout and you should be proud of yourself!! :)

    xErin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this page natalie - the butterfly is awesome and I love the gesso background name! Good luck for your Master's entry!!! They'd be lucky to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the soft/dreamy feel of your layout & the main thing you have preserved a beautiful memory with a beautiful layout
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Come back again soon :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails